Monday, January 26, 2015

Late Assignment Policy - #flipclass

I teach third grade and I am detail-oriented when it comes to late work. I accept late and made-up missed work from all of my students. Whenever students have late work, I write the assignment date and name under their name on a weekly log. When students turn in their work, I highlight  the assignment showing that they turned it in. Students do stay inside for recess to make up the missing/late work. At the end of the week, students write down how many late and missing assignments they have in their agendas in their goal portion. Students who have several late and missing assignments per week are asked to write an assignment goal. They also create actions steps to help them be proactive about turning in their work.

Third grade is a vital year for helping students develop student responsibility. In this grade, students still want to blame their parents for late and missing assignments. The transfer of responsibility can be difficult, but I feel responsible for making these newly intermediate students responsible for their work.

1 comment:

  1. Great policy! I love that you accept thier work but at the same time teach them the importance of meeting the deadlines by setting goals!

    ReplyDelete